Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday night, border radio and Patti Smith

I am watching epic cloudscapes drift across the sky in the last remaining minutes of twilight. Might be my favourite time of day, those few minutes where you can actually see the sky change from day to night. I am never up early enough to watch it change back though. I don't know that I would actually enjoy as that much. Bernie's show is so good tonight, it's on 95Bfm from 7pm to 9pm on Sunday nights. Always good and seems to be the only thing that helps me shake off those bad Sunday night blues. I don't watch tv anymore so sitting down and listening to a radio show is really something. I don't actually sit still for the entire 2 hours, it's on in the background while I do other things but for a while now I have been pretty committed to listening on a regular basis and I am never disappointed. Tonight he played Dancing Barefoot by Patti Smith which I haven't heard for so long and of course I remembered what a goddess PS is and how I love her still. I think there was even a time I wanted to be her. Not literally of course but I think that every girl who ends up playing in a band at some point or another has had to have been inspired in someway by her. I get all nostalgic every time I hear her remembering how I only wanted to be in a band with my friends and nothing else mattered. Looking back on it now I am so glad I did it. I don't know if I could pull it off now. I have no idea where the fire has gone. There was a moment back in the 90's where it was all about grrl power - god even writing that makes me cringe like crazy - and it was great. It was such a fierce time in music for women and I am so glad, so glad I got caught up in the frenzy of it all. It's hard to know if things really changed long term but at least they were shaken up. I guess there's nothing like ramming the neck of a guitar straight into an amp just for shits and giggles is there?

Thanks jj for everything





and Precious




Patricia, you still rock

No comments:

Post a Comment